Skip to main content

Summary of what you must do and what is open at medium risk alert level 2.

Part of:
First published:
18 December 2020
Last updated:

What you must do at alert level 2

At alert level 2 you must:

  • Follow social distancing rules with people you don’t live with or who aren’t in your exclusive extended household.
  • Wear a face covering (if you are able to) in all indoor public places.
  • Only form an extended household with no more than 1 other household and they should stay the same.
  • Not meet with anyone in a private home other than those you live with or your extended household.
  • Meet no more than 3 other people indoors in a cafe, restaurant or other open premises.
  • Meet no more than 3 other people in private gardens.
  • Meet no more than 3 other people outdoors (unless with extended household of a larger number).
  • Work from home if you can.
  • Not travel to areas of high prevalence without reasonable excuse.

What can open at alert level 2

  • Schools, colleges and childcare providers.
  • Higher education institutions (mix of in-person and remote learning).
  • Licenced premises (can serve alcohol between 6am and 10pm where part of a substantial meal. Premises must close by 10:20pm).
  • Non-essential retail.
  • Close contact services.
  • Hospitality.
  • Holiday accommodation.
  • Entertainment venues.
  • Indoor visitor attractions.
  • Outdoor visitor attractions.
  • Leisure and fitness facilities.
  • Theatres and concert halls (restricted numbers).
  • Places of worship.
  • Community centres.
  • Crematoriums.
  • Libraries and archive services.
  • Sport courts, golf courses.
  • Playgrounds and public parks.
  • Organised indoor activities (up to 15 people).
  • Organised outdoor activities (up to 30 people).
  • International travel.
  • Weddings (ceremony limit set by venue).
  • Wedding reception or wake (15 people indoors, 30 outdoors).

What must be closed at alert level 2

  • Venues for events and conferences.
  • Ice skating rinks for public use.
  • Nightclubs and adult entertainment venues.