Skip to main content

How coronavirus regulations affect you as a nanny or their employer.

First published:
22 May 2020
Last updated:

Safety and physical distancing in the family home or other workplace

If you already use a nanny you must consider your childcare needs and home circumstances. You must follow the legal guidance about maintaining physical distancing in the workplace. You must also be aware of potential risks to anyone in that workplace that could occur when using a nanny.

Employing a nanny

Anyone can employ a nanny during the coronavirus outbreak. You should consider your family's childcare needs and working patterns.

Extra care you should take when looking after a child in their home

You should follow the government coronavirus advice

You must:

  • wash your hands often, for at least 20 seconds (especially when you arrive at work and return home)
  • always use a separate towel to dry your hands (do not share a towel with any family members or the child you are caring for)
  • maintain physical distance as far as possible with family members and others you are not caring for
  • if you, or anyone in your own home, has COVID-19 symptoms, you should not go to work, you must self-isolate

Households that are isolating or if you or an individual in the home are extremely clinically vulnerable

You should not work in a household that is isolating although you can give emergency childcare if a young child would be left unattended. If you, or an individual in the home, are extremely clinically vulnerable then you should consider the risks and benefits with the family and come to an agreement on whether or not you should continue to provide a service to the family in the circumstances. If you and the family agree that you should continue to work in the home, you both must follow government advice on protecting yourself and others.

Nannies who live with a family

You should follow government guidance about staying at home and social distancing

Financial support for nannies if they cannot work

You can look at the government financial support schemes to find help or speak to your local authority for advice.