An annual report which includes information about reports of abuse or neglect received by local authorities.
- In 2017-18, 19,178 reports were received by Local Authorities, where it was suspected that an adult was at risk of abuse or neglect.
- Neglect, emotional/psychological and physical abuse were the most common types of abuse reported in completed reports, occurring in 34 per cent, 25 per cent and 24 per cent of reports respectively.
- Of the victims which alleged abuse or neglect, 43.9 per cent took place in their own home and 34.4 per cent took place in care home settings.
- Paid employees were most likely to be alleged responsible for the abuse/neglect (46.5 per cent) followed by relatives/friends (29.0 per cent).
- Of the number of investigations that concluded during the year, 27.0 per cent were criminal investigations.
Adult safeguarding, April 2017 to March 2018 (experimental statistics)
file type: PDF, file size: 577 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 025 6735
Tel: 0300 025 8099