A summary of the board's purpose and how it will work.
Purpose and remit
The Active Travel Board’s purpose is to coordinate activity to support the effective implementation of the Active Travel (Wales) Act 2013.
This will include the following specific tasks:
- providing input into a review effective delivery of active travel projects and supporting the implementation of any actions arising following consideration by ministers
- advising on the development and implementation of the Active Travel Action Plan, including ensuring delivery within organisations’ area of responsibility
- advising on wider activity to support the implementation of the act and the uptake of active travel
The role and effectiveness of the Board will be reviewed following the submission of the Integrated Network Maps by local authorities.
Senior transport official
Senior officials representing the following ministerial portfolios:
- Economy and Infrastructure
- Social Services and Public Health
- Environment and Rural Affairs
- Welsh Local Government Association
- Disability Wales
- Living Streets
- Bicycle Association
- Welsh Cycling
- Cycling UK
- Public Health Wales
- Natural Resources Wales
- Cycle to Work Alliance
- Independent PH and Transport expert
Representatives from other departments, organisations and individuals will be invited to attend or present as required.
The board reports to the Cabinet Secretary for Economy and Transport.
The full board will ordinarily meet 3 times a year.
Any communication required between meetings will be via email.
The Welsh Government will provide the secretariat function for the meetings, issuing invites and drafting notes, and will provide meeting venues in one of its offices.