These statistics show the ability of pupils in science, mathematics and reading for 2015.
This is not the latest release in the series: Achievement of 15 year olds (Program for International Student Assessment) PISA national report
In 2015, results were submitted by 140 schools for 3,451 pupils in Wales. Over 70 countries participated including all members of the OECD and all four countries within the UK.
- The average PISA mathematics score for Wales in 2015 was 478. The average score has fluctuated over the last decade, but is at a similar level in 2015 as it was in 2006 (484).
- There are 33 countries where the mean mathematics score is at least 10 test points ahead of Wales, and 28 countries where the mean mathematics score is at least 10 test points lower.
- The average PISA reading score for Wales in 2015 was 477. This has remained stable since 2006 (481).
- There are 31 countries where the mean reading score is at least 10 test points ahead of Wales, and 29 countries where the mean reading score is at least 10 test points lower.
- The average PISA science score for Wales in 2015 was 485. This is 20 points lower than the average in 2006 (505).
- There are 29 countries where the mean science score is at least 10 points ahead of Wales, and 31 countries where the mean science score is at least 10 points lower.
The above figures are based on comparing Wales with other participating countries, including the component parts of the UK. This is consistent with the national report produced by the Institute of Education. It does mean that the figures provided on this website for the 2012 data are based on a different coverage of countries.
Datasets and interactive tools
Achievement in science; Achievement in mathematics; Achievement in reading: tables
file type: ODS, file size: 59 KB
Tel: 0300 025 5060
Tel: 0300 025 8099