Data on authorised and unauthorised absenteeism by pupils of compulsory school age for September 2018 to August 2019.
- In 2018/19, 5.4% of half day sessions were missed due to overall absence and 1.4% of half-day sessions were missed through unauthorised absence.
- In general, overall absence has been falling since 2006/07.
- Overall absence decreased in 2018/19 after increasing in 2017/18.
- Unauthorised absence increased in 2018/19 by 0.1 percentage points following a larger increase of 0.2 percentage points in 2017/18.
- The percentage of pupils in primary schools who were persistent absentees increased in both 2017/18 and 2018/19.
- The percentage of pupils with no absence increased in 2018/19, and the percentage of pupils missing more than 20 days decreased.
Absenteeism from primary schools, September 2018 to August 2019: notes
file type: PDF, file size: 255 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Absenteeism from primary schools, September 2018 to August 2019: tables
file type: ODS, file size: 104 KB
Primary school benchmarking, September 2018 to August 2019: tables
file type: ODS, file size: 40 KB
Telephone: 0300 025 5060
Telephone: 0300 025 8099