We are making improvements to the A465 from Dowlais Top to Hirwaun.
Project status: under construction
Region: south-east Wales
Start date: early 2021
End date: 2025
Cost: capital cost of construction approximately £590m (2019 prices)
Contractors: supervising consultant: Arcadis/Arup JV, Legal advisors: DLA Piper, Financial advisors: PWC, Insurance advisors: Willis Towers Watson, Private Sector Partner: Future Valleys
Registered with Considerate Constructors Scheme? yes
About the scheme: specific junction information can be found here.
What we are doing
This road project is known as the A465 Heads of the Valleys section 5 and 6. The project will extend between Hirwaun and Dowlais Top for 11 miles (17.7km).
It will leave the current A465 between the Hirwaun and Trewaun junctions for about a mile (1.4km) and between the Taf Fechan Viaduct and the Gurnos Farm underpass for about half a mile (0.8km).
The new road will be a 70mph dual carriageway with 6 junctions.
Slip roads on and off the A465 carriageway will connect the joining roads.
Flythrough west to east
Flythrough east to west
Why we are doing it
The objectives are to:
- improve traffic flow and make it safer to overtake
- make the road safer, especially around junctions and areas with poor visibility
- improve access to key services, jobs and markets supporting inward investment to areas like the Ebbw Vale Enterprise Zone
Future Valleys Construction has taken over responsibility for maintenance of the A465 the project.
- carried out archaeology works at Baverstock and Hirwaun
- placed a 40mph speed restriction on the A465 to improve safety and protect the workforce during construction
We are currently:
- clearing vegetation across the whole project area (where allowed)
- building access tracks ready for work to start in May.
Public exhibitions: end 2015
Publication of draft orders and environmental statement: summer 2017
Publication of draft supplementary orders and supplementary environmental statement: early 2018
Public local inquiry: spring 2018
Minister's decision: early 2019
Making of Orders: spring 2019
Publish draft Supplementary Orders (No.1): autumn 2019
Making Supplementary Orders (No.1): summer 2020
Publish draft Supplementary Orders (No.2): summer 2020
Procure contractor: autumn 2020
Start of construction: early 2021
Completion of new section of trunk road: mid 2025
The main works will start at the end of May at Hirwaun, Trewaun and Afon Cynon. This includes:
- laying a temporary road at Hirwaun and Trewaun to create space for the new road and bridges
- installing culverts to carry water underneath the new road
- putting up boundary fencing
- demolishing buildings at Trewaun junction
- building new bridges at Hirwaun junction, Tower road, Trewaun and Afon Cynon
- building a new underpass at Court Farm
How we are consulting
We consulted on improvements to the A465 between Abergavenny and Hirwaun in 1994 as part of the process to develop the preferred route for the whole project.
We held public information exhibitions in December 2015. At these events we presented the 1990s design and highlighted areas where we are considering options to improve this design.
We have run a series of presentations to local interest groups and meetings with local landowners, businesses and other key stakeholders. We have used these to gather information on and understand how the proposals fit with local priorities, objectives and policies.
We held a series of draft orders exhibitions in August 2017.
We held a public local Inquiry in April and May 2018.
Find out more
To report incidents or issues on the network please call the A465 control room on 0787 287 1702. The line is available 24/7.
We have appointed a dedicated public liaison officer for the project. For community queries or complaints please call 0776 245 1850 or email: A465enquiries@futurevalleysconstruction.com.