We want to make improvements between the Penblewin roundabout and Redstone Cross on the A40.
Project status: planned
Region: Pembrokeshire, south west Wales
Start date: summer 2021
End date: spring 2023
Cost: £20m. We have secured part-EU funding for the project
Designers: Arup with Environmental Design provided by RML
WelTAG: Welsh Transport Appraisal Guidance (WelTAG) combined stage 1 and 2 study and Stage 3 study complete.
Why we are doing it
The A40 between St Clears and Haverfordwest is mainly a single carriageway.
We identified in the A40 West of St Clears Study that there was a need for this scheme. We revisited and updated the study in 2015 to confirm that we should go ahead with this project.
The identified problems are:
- the A40 mainline and Redstone Cross Junction is substandard
- limited overtaking opportunities lead to poor journey time reliability and driver frustration
- occasional convoys of heavy goods vehicles from the ferry ports and slow moving agricultural vehicles make things worse
- spikes in traffic volume especially during the summer months leads to slow moving traffic
- there are side road junctions and direct accesses to properties and agricultural fields which contribute to operational problems along the road
- a mix of traffic types using the road can cause drivers to make risky manoeuvres and collision incidents happen
- a lack of public transport in this area means there is a dependence on cars to commute
A Public Local Inquiry was held in November 2020. We received the Inspector’s Report in January detailing their recommendations
We have considered the evidence presented to the Public Local Inquiry together with the recommendations made within the Inspector’s Report. The draft Orders (with modifications) for the project have been published.
Publish preferred route: autumn 2019
Publish Draft Orders: summer 2020
Statutory process: summer 2020 to early 2021
Public Local Inquiry: November 2020
Procurement of contractor: autumn 2020 to summer 2021
Construction starts: summer 2021
Construction ends: spring 2023
The procurement of a contractor means the work could start in summer.
We hope work will complete by spring 2023.
How we are consulting
We held two series of public information exhibitions for A40 Penblewin to Redstone Cross Improvements in April in Llanddewi Velfrey Village Hall and May at Bloomfield House, Narberth, in order to look at proposals. Attendees were invited to complete questionnaires at each exhibition.
We held a public consultation, which ran between July 2019 and September 2019.
We held a further public information exhibition on 16 December at Queens Hall, Narberth.
We held draft Orders exhibitions in August 2020 following publication of the draft orders in July 2020.
Due to objections received to the draft Orders, we took a decision to hold a Public Local Inquiry. The Public Local Inquiry was held in November 2020. Details can be found on the Public Local Inquiry website.
Find out more
If you have any concerns or queries you can contact Martin Gallimore, Arup’s Public Liaison Officer, directly on 07923 887119 or alternatively email: A40enquiries@arup.com