UK Climate Change Risk Assessment Evidence Report »The Wales report highlights the risks to our economy, communities and environment from flooding and heat.Learn more »
First Minister holds Extraordinary British-Irish Council Summit to discuss Brexit
The First Minister of Wales, Carwyn Jones has convened an extraordinary meeting of the British-Irish Council (BIC) to discuss the outcome of the EU referendum.
- Public Health Minister accepts new recommendations on Vitamin D intake
- Tourism industry ready for an EPIC summer
Featured story »National Assembly 2016 election results
- First Minister holds Extraordinary British-Irish Council Summit to discuss Brexit
- Consultation on The Local Authorities (Calculations of Council Tax Base) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2016
- Welsh Language Standards – Improving services for Welsh speakers within the health sector
- Proposed Technical Advice Note (TAN) 24: The Historic Environment
- There are no consultations closing within the next 10 days
Featured consultation »Proposed technical advice note 24: The historic environment
71 days left
Section highlightLand Transaction Tax
Land Transaction Tax will replace UK Stamp Duty Land Tax in Wales.
Final Budget 2016-17 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2016-17 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Wales and Borders Rail Franchise
The majority of rail services in Wales are provided under the Wales and Borders franchise.
We fund and oversee this franchise, providing around £170 million per year for the operation of the franchise. Arriva Trains Wales won the contract for the franchise in 2003. This will end in 2018.
We currently have joint responsibility for managing the franchise alongside the UK Government. The franchise agreement details the requirements expected of Arriva Trains Wales in delivering rail services.
Preparing for the new franchise
Rail franchising will be fully devolved to the Welsh Government from 2017.
We are currently gathering the views of rail interest groups on the specification for the next Wales and Border franchise. In 2017, Welsh Ministers will initiate the formal process for procuring the next franchise.
We provided the Mid Wales Railways Implementation Group with funding to host a seminar on 11 May 2015 to discuss the franchise. Download papers from the seminar along with views from groups in north Wales below.