Successful prosecutions for scallop fishing offences »We take seriously our responsibility for managing and protecting Welsh seas and all our natural resources.Learn more »
Congratulations to GCSE pupils on results day - Kirsty Williams
The Education Secretary Kirsty Williams has offered her congratulations to students across Wales celebrating their GCSE and Welsh Baccalaureate results today.
- Recycling in Wales reaches record high
- Stellar team poised ready to recognise Welsh heroes
- Congratulations to GCSE pupils on results day - Kirsty Williams
- Proposed changes to how Environmental Impact Assessment applies to Town and Country Planning
- National Strategy on Violence Against Women, Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence - A framework for delivery 2016 - 2021
- Establishment of a Flood and Coastal Erosion Committee
- Consultation on The Local Authorities (Calculations of Council Tax Base) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2016
Featured consultation »Welsh Language Strategy: A million Welsh speakers by 2050
64 days left
Section highlightLand Transaction Tax
Land Transaction Tax will replace UK Stamp Duty Land Tax in Wales.
Final Budget 2016-17 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2016-17 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
Wales and Borders Rail Franchise
The majority of rail services in Wales are provided under the Wales and Borders franchise.
We fund and oversee this franchise, providing around £170 million per year for the operation of the franchise. Arriva Trains Wales won the contract for the franchise in 2003. This will end in 2018.
We currently have joint responsibility for managing the franchise alongside the UK Government. The franchise agreement details the requirements expected of Arriva Trains Wales in delivering rail services.
Preparing for the new franchise
Rail franchising will be fully devolved to the Welsh Government from 2017.
We are currently gathering the views of rail interest groups on the specification for the next Wales and Border franchise. In 2017, Welsh Ministers will initiate the formal process for procuring the next franchise.
We provided the Mid Wales Railways Implementation Group with funding to host a seminar on 11 May 2015 to discuss the franchise. Download papers from the seminar along with views from groups in north Wales below.