Progress on major health conditions delivery plans »We remain committed to ensuring that quality improvement remains at the centre of our approach for the future of NHS Wales.Learn more »
Statement from the First Minister following meeting with the Prime Minister on Tata Steel
“My message to the Prime Minister this morning was simple. These plants cannot close.”
- Welsh Government agrees partnership in principle for £80m convention centre plans at Celtic Manor Resort, Newport
- £43m to improve Wales’ primary care services
- Statement from the First Minister following meeting with the Prime Minister on Tata Steel
- Consultation on Procurement Regulation in Wales
- National Outcomes Framework for Youth Work
- Proposed changes to Planning Policy Wales Chapter 6: The Historic Environment
Closing soonView all open consultations »
Section highlightEnvironment (Wales) Act 2016
The act puts in place the legislation needed to plan and manage Wales’ natural resources in a more proactive, sustainable and joined-up way.
Assembly bills »
Bills that the Welsh Government will bring forward.Learn more »
In this section
Section highlightWelsh taxes: a conversation
Share your thoughts on a new Taxpayers’ Charter.
Final Budget 2016-17 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2016-17 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
About this topic
Transport is an enabler for many aspects of the Welsh economy and aims to support a modern society featuring high levels of mobility.
The transport network plays a vital role in reducing poverty by supporting economic growth; linking people to jobs, delivering products to markets, supporting domestic and international trade; thereby helping to promote greater social inclusion and ensuring the sustainability of communities.
The current National Transport Plan takes forward these priorities and sits alongside Regional Transport Plans in delivering the National Transport Strategy.
The Welsh Government leads on the delivery of numerous transport initiatives, as well as supporting the Regional Transport Consortia, Local Authorities and other organisations to deliver their own priorities.
The Welsh Government is responsible for the Motorways and trunk roads in Wales. The Trunk Road Agencies manage, maintain and improve these roads on our behalf. Major improvements to the network are managed and delivered directly by the Department.
We work closely with Network Rail to enhance and improve railway infrastructure in Wales and take forward projects of benefit to Wales. We are also responsible for the financial and performance management of passenger services covered by the Wales and Borders franchise, operated by Arriva Trains Wales.
The Welsh Government also supports the four Regional Transport Consorti; Sewta, SWWITCH, TraCC and Taith. The Consortia produced Regional Transport Plans in 2009. These are the main mechanism for taking forward the Wales Transport Strategy at the regional and local level.
In addition Transport also finance a number of grant schemes and initiatives to promote sustainable travel choices for the people of Wales including; Community Transport initiatives; Concessionary Fares for Elderly and Disabled people; the Blue Badge Scheme; Sustainable Travel Centres and Walking and Cycling iniatives.
Aims and commitments
- promote an efficient, effective, sustainable and inclusive transport network
- prioritise the interventions in the National Transport Plan to best meet the aspiration of this government to create a world class transport system within the current financial constraints.
- seek the devolution of decision making to Wales. In particular we will work with the UK Department for Transport to build the case for electrification through to Swansea and develop the business case for the electrification of other parts of the local rail network in Wales.
- work with local and regional partners to enhance the quality, reliability and safety of local transport bus service provision. As well as examining the best options for providing local bus services for rural communities to have access to facilities.