Energy Wales Statement »The energy system in Wales is on the threshold of great change driven by new energy, technology and low carbon energy transition objectives.Learn more »
- National Pathway for Homelessness Services to Children, Young People and Adults in the Secure Estate
- Draft revised guidance on disciplinary and dismissal procedures for school staff
- Prevention of Pollution (Oil Storage) (Wales) Regulations
- Welsh Government Draft Equality Objectives for 2016-2020
- Future arrangements for the Welsh Government’s Equality and Inclusion Programme for 2017-2020
Featured consultation »Draft non-statutory guidance for local authorities on elective home education
0 days left
Section highlightEnvironment (Wales) BillThe bill creates the legislation needed to plan and manage Wales’ natural resources in a more sustainable and joined-up way.
Legislative programme 2014 - 2015 »
Bills that the Welsh Government will bring forward in 2014/2015.Learn more »
Section highlightTaxes in Wales
The devolution of some taxes to Wales from April 2018 provides us with the opportunity to reshape those taxes to better meet our circumstances and priorities.
1st Supplementary Budget 2015-16 »
The 1st supplementary budget proposes a number of changes to the final budget for 2015-16, which was published in December 2014.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
About this topic
We fund the National Health Service in Wales and develop policy and strategy for improving health and social services in Wales.
We lead on policy and strategy for improving health, social care and public health strategy and programmes, with the aim of protecting and improving health and reducing health inequalities.
Our responsibilities include:
- Prevention, treatment and reduction of disease, illness, injury, disability and mental disorder.
- Provision of health services, including medical, dental, ophthalmic, pharmaceutical and ancillary services and facilities.
- Clinical governance and standards of health care
Exceptions to this include:
- Human genetics, human fertilisation, human embryology, surrogacy arrangements
The Department’s aim is to implement the health and social care elements of the Programme for Government, including:
- promoting healthy lifestyles
- supporting the NHS and local government to work closely together to deliver integrated health and social care services
- shifting the balance within the health service from acute hospital services to community based services
- modernising social services in order to provide more accessible, personalised care for people
- ensuring clinical governance and good financial management of services