UK Climate Change Risk Assessment Evidence Report »The Wales report highlights the risks to our economy, communities and environment from flooding and heat.Learn more »
First Minister holds Extraordinary British-Irish Council Summit to discuss Brexit
The First Minister of Wales, Carwyn Jones has convened an extraordinary meeting of the British-Irish Council (BIC) to discuss the outcome of the EU referendum.
- Public Health Minister accepts new recommendations on Vitamin D intake
- Tourism industry ready for an EPIC summer
Featured story »National Assembly 2016 election results
- First Minister holds Extraordinary British-Irish Council Summit to discuss Brexit
- A future demand-led fuel poverty scheme to succeed Welsh Government Warm Homes - Nest
- Consultation on The Local Authorities (Calculations of Council Tax Base) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2016
- Welsh Language Standards – Improving services for Welsh speakers within the health sector
- There are no consultations closing within the next 10 days
Featured consultation »Improving services for Welsh speakers in the health sector
79 days left
Section highlightLand Transaction Tax
Land Transaction Tax will replace UK Stamp Duty Land Tax in Wales.
Final Budget 2016-17 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2016-17 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
About this topic
We fund the National Health Service in Wales and develop policy and strategy for improving health and social services in Wales.
We lead on policy and strategy for improving health, social care and public health strategy and programmes, with the aim of protecting and improving health and reducing health inequalities.
Our responsibilities include:
- Prevention, treatment and reduction of disease, illness, injury, disability and mental disorder.
- Provision of health services, including medical, dental, ophthalmic, pharmaceutical and ancillary services and facilities.
- Clinical governance and standards of health care
Exceptions to this include:
- Human genetics, human fertilisation, human embryology, surrogacy arrangements
The Department’s aim is to implement the health and social care elements of the Programme for Government, including:
- promoting healthy lifestyles
- supporting the NHS and local government to work closely together to deliver integrated health and social care services
- shifting the balance within the health service from acute hospital services to community based services
- modernising social services in order to provide more accessible, personalised care for people
- ensuring clinical governance and good financial management of services