Proposals for the most generous student finance support package in the UK published in Wales
Proposals for the most generous student finance support package available anywhere in the UK have been published today in Wales (Tues 27th Sept).
- Health Secretary announces IPFR Review Panel
- Welsh Government announces cap on rail fares
- Proposals for the most generous student finance support package in the UK published in Wales
Section highlightLand Transaction Tax
Land Transaction Tax will replace UK Stamp Duty Land Tax in Wales.
Final Budget 2016-17 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2016-17 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Single-use carrier bags
The single use carrier bags charge legislation came into force in Wales on 1 October 2011. Single use carrier bags are no longer given away for free when people buy goods.
We are committed to reducing the number of single use carrier bags used in Wales.
Visit: The Single Use Carrier Bags Charge (Wales) Regulations 2010 (external link)
The money raised is collected by the retailer and we want this to be passed on to good causes, preferably environmental good causes, here in Wales.
- It is estimated that single use carrier bag use between 2011 and 2014 has declined by 71%.
- Between 2001 and 2014 there has been an estimated overall reduction in all bag use by 57%.
- Consumer support for the charge has increased since 2011 from 61% to 74% in 2015.
- From when the 5p charge was introduced in October 2011 to October 2014 additional donations to good causes have been estimated at between £17m and £22m.
If you are a good cause - this could be anything from a school, small local community group or a national charity - then you may want to contact local, national and international businesses to see if they are able to donate any of the carrier bag charge proceeds to you.
An example letter (external link) that you can use is available on the Carrier bags charge Wales website.
Retailers may be interested that we have developed a voluntary agreement on where the net proceeds will go (external link). You can also use our online form to sign up to the agreement.
For more information on our policies on single-use carrier bags, please visit Carrier bag charge Wales (external link).