Night time economy framework »The framework aims to help develop a sustainable, healthy and safe night time economy in Wales.Learn more »
Avian Influenza – Next Steps
Following the announcement to declare a new Avian Influenza Prevention Zone the Chief Veterinary Officer for Wales is reminding bird keepers to be prepared ahead of its implementation next Tuesday.
- Out of Work Service funding extended until 2020
- Carwyn Connect heads to Penygraig
- Avian Influenza – Next Steps
Section highlightLandfill Disposals Tax Communities Scheme
The scheme will support local community and environmental projects in areas affected by the disposal of waste to landfill.
Final Budget 2017-18 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2017-18 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Single-use carrier bags
The single use carrier bags charge legislation came into force in Wales on 1 October 2011. Single use carrier bags are no longer given away for free when people buy goods.
We are committed to reducing the number of single use carrier bags used in Wales.
Visit: The Single Use Carrier Bags Charge (Wales) Regulations 2010 (external link)
The money raised is collected by the retailer and we want this to be passed on to good causes, preferably environmental good causes, here in Wales.
- It is estimated that single use carrier bag use between 2011 and 2014 has declined by 71%.
- Between 2001 and 2014 there has been an estimated overall reduction in all bag use by 57%.
- Consumer support for the charge has increased since 2011 from 61% to 74% in 2015.
- From when the 5p charge was introduced in October 2011 to October 2014 additional donations to good causes have been estimated at between £17m and £22m.
If you are a good cause - this could be anything from a school, small local community group or a national charity - then you may want to contact local, national and international businesses to see if they are able to donate any of the carrier bag charge proceeds to you.
An example letter (external link) that you can use is available on the Carrier bags charge Wales website.
For more information on our policies on single-use carrier bags, please visit Carrier bag charge Wales (external link).