UK Climate Change Risk Assessment Evidence Report »The Wales report highlights the risks to our economy, communities and environment from flooding and heat.Learn more »
New £7m EU-backed investment in graduate career opportunities
A £7.3m EU-backed scheme to boost the career prospects of students from disadvantaged backgrounds has been announced.
- Children encouraged to join the Big Friendly Read this summer
- Best ambulance response times since start of pilot - all LHBs in Wales meet target for first time
Featured story »National Assembly 2016 election results
- New £7m EU-backed investment in graduate career opportunities
- A future demand-led fuel poverty scheme to succeed Welsh Government Warm Homes - Nest
- Consultation on The Local Authorities (Calculations of Council Tax Base) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2016
- Welsh Language Standards – Improving services for Welsh speakers within the health sector
- There are no consultations closing within the next 10 days
Featured consultation »Improving services for Welsh speakers in the health sector
78 days left
Section highlightLand Transaction Tax
Land Transaction Tax will replace UK Stamp Duty Land Tax in Wales.
Final Budget 2016-17 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2016-17 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
Sky lanterns: environmental and risk assessment
Health and welfare of livestock and pets, including animal disease information.
Annual litter clean up costs around £70 million in Wales which has to be met by taxpayers.
Tell us if you want any of the documents on this page in an alternative format.
This study was jointly commissioned by English and Welsh Governments to establish an evidence base to help any future policy decisions on sky lanterns and helium balloons.
The study aimed to identify and assess the risks of sky lanterns and helium balloons to:
- livestock health and welfare
- the environment (including litter)
- fire risk
- damage to marine life
- consumer safety.
The objectives of the project were:
- to gather evidence, through a literature review and telephone interviews
- to evaluate this evidence, develop the ‘evidence base’ on the impacts of sky lanterns and helium balloons and to draw conclusions
- to prepare and deliver a final report.
Executive summary (Welsh only) (File size: 129KB)