Successful prosecutions for scallop fishing offences »We take seriously our responsibility for managing and protecting Welsh seas and all our natural resources.Learn more »
Congratulations to GCSE pupils on results day - Kirsty Williams
The Education Secretary Kirsty Williams has offered her congratulations to students across Wales celebrating their GCSE and Welsh Baccalaureate results today.
- Recycling in Wales reaches record high
- Stellar team poised ready to recognise Welsh heroes
- Congratulations to GCSE pupils on results day - Kirsty Williams
- Proposed changes to how Environmental Impact Assessment applies to Town and Country Planning
- National Strategy on Violence Against Women, Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence - A framework for delivery 2016 - 2021
- Establishment of a Flood and Coastal Erosion Committee
- Consultation on The Local Authorities (Calculations of Council Tax Base) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2016
Featured consultation »Welsh Language Strategy: A million Welsh speakers by 2050
66 days left
Section highlightLand Transaction Tax
Land Transaction Tax will replace UK Stamp Duty Land Tax in Wales.
Final Budget 2016-17 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2016-17 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
Reducing Welsh emissions
The Environment (Wales) Act 2016 sets out the approach to help Wales reduce its carbon emissions.
The adoption of the legislation will help accelerate emission reductions and move to a clean economy and low carbon society. The Act will:
- Place a duty on Welsh Ministers to ensure that they are at least 80% lower that the base lines for green house gases
- Puts in place provision for interim emissions targets to be set for 2020, 2030 & 2040
- Place a duty on Welsh Ministers to set five yearly carbon budgets
- Place a duty on Welsh Ministers to publish a statement after each carbon budget measuring progress
- Duty on Welsh Ministers to prepare and publish a report for each budgetary period setting out their policies and proposals for that period
- Establishes body to advise Government on latest scientific evidence and report progress being made against budgets targets
The Environment Act is a major step change which fully recognises the implications of the Paris Agreement and aims accelerate action to tackle it across all sectors.