Skip to content

County Parish Holding (CPH) and livestock movements

Related Links

The Cabinet Secretary for Environment and Rural Affairs, Lesley Griffiths, has today launched a new system for defining agricultural holdings and registering temporary land in Wales.
Lesley Griffiths, Cabinet Secretary for Environment and Rural Affairs
You need a County Parish Holding (CPH) number to submit grant and subsidy applications and to report livestock movements between locations.
Find out what your Farm Liaison team can do for you and how you can contact them.
if you've seen a term you don't understand, please check here for an explanation.
Tell us if you want any of the documents on this page in an alternative format.

The CPH (County Parish Holding) is a key control mechanism which underpins the identification of farmed livestock (cattle, sheep, goats and pigs).

The CPH identifier is the base on which livestock movement reporting regimes in Wales provide a system capable of tracing livestock movements between different locations to meet the requirements of the European Regulations.

On 7 November 2016, the Cabinet Secretary for Environment and Rural Affairs formally launched the CPH Project, and announced that no new Cattle Tracing System links (CTSlinks) would be issued from that date.

As part of the CPH project, the Welsh Government is removing all CTSlinks, Sole Occupancy Authorities (SOAs) and Interim Land Association Management (ILAM) arrangements, and introducing a new 10 mile distance rule for all species. 

This will allow livestock keepers to improve the efficiency of their business by providing the opportunity to control all land parcels under their management within an agreed distance of the main holding; and to do this under one CPH reference. 

The changes are being rolled out strategically over a 2 year period, with Rural Payments Wales (RPW) initially targeting keepers with CTSlinks, SOAs and ILAMs. Those livestock keepers are being contacted directly by Rural Payments Wales (RPW) with details on what the changes mean, the options available, and any action to be taken 

Livestock keepers do not need to do anything until they are contacted by RPW. 
Until RPW have completed the transition of a holding, keepers will continue to be subject to the current movement reporting requirements.

Winter Grazing

Cattle keepers taking on land on a temporary basis for the first time this winter will have the following movement reporting options:

  1. report the movements to the landowner’s CPH ( if the landowner is the keeper), or 
  2. alternatively register the land with Rural Payments Wales (RPW) as either:
    1. Temporary Land Association (TLA) (for land within 10 miles)
    2. Temporary CPH (tCPH). 

In order to register the land with either a TLA or a tCPH, keepers will need to declare that they will have sole occupancy of the land, e.g. that their animals will not mix with another keeper’s livestock, and will need to provide a start and end date for the tenure.

Rural Payments Wales Customer Contact Centre can be contacted on 0300 062 5004.

Winter housing

Keepers should be aware that if they rent a shed for winter housing that shares a yard with another keeper/landowner, this would not be considered to be sole occupancy, as the yard and buildings will be in the same land parcel. Sole occupancy can only be valid where the entire land parcel is only used by one keeper. In this scenario, keepers will be required to report movements to the landowner’s CPH.

Location of land


Reporting Requirements

Temporary Land

<10 miles

Winter Grazing TLA

Movement reporting / Standstill / PrMT not required for movements within CPH number.

Temporary Land

>10 miles


Record all movements, observe standstill, PrMT required.