Wales rides the wave as Surf Snowdonia officially opens
The opening of Surf Snowdonia in Dolgarrog in the Conwy Valley this Saturday gives Wales another iconic adventure tourism attraction and makes it an adventure destination to rival any in the world.
- New system for emergency ambulance services to prioritise patients in most need of care
- Launching Saundersfoot Harbour to international success
- Wales rides the wave as Surf Snowdonia officially opens
- Draft statutory guidance on the National Training Framework on violence against women, domestic abuse and sexual violence
- Revisions to the Waste Duty of Care Code of Practice
- The Welsh Language Tribunal - Practice Directions
- Consultation on the Proposals for the Interim Agricultural Wages Order
- Developments of National Significance
Featured consultation »Prevention of Pollution (Oil Storage) (Wales) Regulations
54 days left
Section highlightThe Planning (Wales) Act 2015
The act puts in place delivery structures, processes and procedures to make Wales’ planning system fit for the 21st century.
Legislative programme 2014 - 2015 »
Bills that the Welsh Government will bring forward in 2014/2015.Learn more »
Section highlightTaxes in Wales
The devolution of some taxes to Wales from April 2018 provides us with the opportunity to reshape those taxes to better meet our circumstances and priorities.
1st Supplementary Budget 2015-16 »
The 1st supplementary budget proposes a number of changes to the final budget for 2015-16, which was published in December 2014.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
Apprenticeships in Wales are a way to earn a wage and work alongside experienced staff to gain job-specific skills.
Coupled with additional training from a partner training provider, the individual will work towards nationally recognised qualifications.
Anyone who is over 16, living in Wales and not in full-time education can apply. An apprenticeship will give you essential job-specific skills, knowledge and professional qualifications. You will work towards a work-based qualification which will be at least Level 2 from the Qualification and Credit Framework (QCF).
You will do a real job for a real employer and will be given targets to achieve. Regular progress checks are made to make sure that your employer is supporting you and you are making progress.
You will receive a regular wage with paid holidays and the same benefits as other employees. As your skills develop, your pay will increase accordingly. You may also get additional money for essential books, clothing or equipment, or help with a disability.
For more information or to apply for an apprenticeship, visit the What is an Apprenticeship? (external link) section of the Careers Wales website.
Any business in Wales, whatever size or sector, can recruit an apprentice through the Apprenticeship Programme. Apprenticeships are available to individuals of all ages, so you can take on a new starter or train existing employees. Support is available towards the cost of training and assessment.
All Apprenticeships include:
- an appropriate competency qualification to at least Level 2 of the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF)
- essential Skills Wales qualifications, e.g.communications, application of number and an optional information and communication technology (ICT)
- a technical qualification such as a BTEC or City & Guilds (relevant to the specific Apprenticeship)
- other qualifications or requirements as specified by the particular occupation.
Most of the training will be carried out by you the employer and you will work with an approved training provider, who will manage the apprentice’s training and assessment programme.
Hear how employers in Wales are benefitting from apprenticeships.
For more information on how to recruit an apprentice, visit the Apprenticeship (external link) section of the Careers Wales website.
The Apprenticeship Programme is funded by the Welsh Government with support from the European Social Fund.