Energy Wales Statement »The energy system in Wales is on the threshold of great change driven by new energy, technology and low carbon energy transition objectives.Learn more »
£6m to help older people live independently in their home
A £6 million investment to help older people in Wales live independently in their own home, has been announced by the Minister for Communities and Tackling Poverty, Lesley Griffiths.
- European approval for new Wales RDP
- Cardiff appoints leading US compound semiconductor expert with Welsh Government support
- £6m to help older people live independently in their home
Section highlightHistoric Environment (Wales) BillThe Bill will support the positive management of change in the Welsh historic environment.
Legislative programme 2014 - 2015 »
Bills that the Welsh Government will bring forward in 2014/2015.Learn more »
Section highlightTaxes in Wales
The devolution of some taxes to Wales from April 2018 provides us with the opportunity to reshape those taxes to better meet our circumstances and priorities.
Final Budget 2015-16 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Departments for 2015-16 is £15·3bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Promoting Disability Equality in Schools
The Duty has been introduced by the Disability Discrimination Act 2005 (DDA 2005) and supplements existing provision under Part 4 of DDA 1995 (introduced by SENDA 2001).
It sets out:
- A general duty to promote disability equality, which applies to all public authorities; and
- A specific duty, which applies to particular public authorities and publicly-funded schools. The specific duty includes a requirement to prepare and publish a Disability Equality Scheme (a scheme) showing how a public authority is meeting its general duty.
It does not bring in new rights for disabled people; rather it requires schools to take a more proactive approach to promoting disability equality and eliminating discrimination.
It requires schools, when carrying out their functions, to have due regard to the need to:
- Promote equality of opportunity between disabled people and other people;
- Eliminate discrimination that is unlawful under the Disability Discrimination Act;
- Eliminate harassment of disabled people that is related to their disability;
- Promote positive attitudes towards disabled people;
- Encourage participation by disabled people in public life;
- Take steps to meet disabled people's needs, even if this requires more favourable treatment.