Skip to content

Where do I go from here?

play learn grow - Working in Early Years, Childcare and Play

Where do I go from here?

Next step To start you on the right path towards a rewarding and fulfilling career working with children, we have identified three simple steps that you need to take.

Step 1

Decide which career route you want to pursue, from the options outlined on the Career routes page.

Step 2

Decide what qualifications you need to aim for, depending on your level of experience, and the skills required for the job you are interested in. Below is a guide to the qualifications you could go for at various stages in your career.

Step 3

Pick up the phone and talk to the experts call you local Children Information Service listed in the Useful contacts section. Don’t forget, friendly advice is always on hand to help you make the right choices.

Step 4

You will need a Criminal Records Bureau check. Every child should be able to learn in a safe, caring, and stimulating environment, so we have stringent regulations and quality controls in place. The law stipulates that the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) must therefore run a check before you start your new job.

The same controls apply if you are starting up a new childcare business, in which case you must be registered with the Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW).

Which course is right for you?

Level 2 – Foundation Level

This is the qualification you will need if you want to work under supervision as a classroom assistant, playworker, playgroup or Cylch Meithrin assistant or out of school playworker.

Level 3 – Intermediate/Supervisory Level

Gaining this qualification will allow you to work using your own initiative, planning and organising your own work and supervising others. You could be a classroom assistant, nursery nurse or playgroup leader or Cylch Meithrin leader.

Level 4 – Management Level

This is for experienced practitioners carrying out complex tasks. Reach this skill level to improve your skills as a manager of an integrated centre, nursery, playgroup or Cylch Meithrin.

Level 5 – Foundation Degree and above

This is the qualification that will help you gain the skills you need to be a successful senior manager. You could be running an integrated children’s centre or be leading a local authority play department and managing at a strategic level.

Working through the medium of Welsh

If you chose to work in a Welsh-medium or bilingual school/setting there are two training programmes available. Cam wrth Gam can help you gain a CACHE accredited award in Children's Care, Learning and Development at Level 3 and can also help you develop your Welsh language skills. Geiriau Bach can help you gain a certificate of Higher Education in Welsh and Bilingual Practice in the Early Years at Level 4. Further Education colleges will also sometimes offer early years qualifications through the medium of Welsh.

For more information contact Cam wrth Gam on 01970 639 601 and Geiriau Bach on 0267 676 603.

Related Links

Choosing the right career depends on what you want out of your job.