Successful prosecutions for scallop fishing offences »We take seriously our responsibility for managing and protecting Welsh seas and all our natural resources.Learn more »
Congratulations to GCSE pupils on results day - Kirsty Williams
The Education Secretary Kirsty Williams has offered her congratulations to students across Wales celebrating their GCSE and Welsh Baccalaureate results today.
- Recycling in Wales reaches record high
- Stellar team poised ready to recognise Welsh heroes
- Congratulations to GCSE pupils on results day - Kirsty Williams
- Proposed changes to how Environmental Impact Assessment applies to Town and Country Planning
- National Strategy on Violence Against Women, Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence - A framework for delivery 2016 - 2021
- Establishment of a Flood and Coastal Erosion Committee
- Consultation on The Local Authorities (Calculations of Council Tax Base) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2016
Featured consultation »Welsh Language Strategy: A million Welsh speakers by 2050
65 days left
Section highlightLand Transaction Tax
Land Transaction Tax will replace UK Stamp Duty Land Tax in Wales.
Final Budget 2016-17 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2016-17 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
The Learning Core
The Learning Core recognises the wider learning by young people, and the skills, knowledge and understanding, values and experiences that all 14-19 year olds require whatever their chosen pathway.
There is an important distinction between the Learning Core and what is sometimes termed “core provision” is schools. The Learning Core is more flexible and wide-ranging and the whole of the learners’ programme can contribute to the Learning Core.
The flexibility of the Learning Core can be its strength because it can accommodate all learners.
Taking up this opportunity should help both the learner and the provider. Young people need to develop skills and capabilities that make them better able to deal with further learning and with the demands of work. Providers can benefit from having more motivated and more effective learners.