Skip to content

Higher education student financial support

Sound advice on Student Finance

If you normally live in Wales you may be eligible for student financial support provided by Student Finance Wales, regardless of where in the UK you will be studying.

Financial support for higher education comes in many forms and will depend on where you will be studying, your household income and the year you start your studies.

Some funding, such as loans will need to be paid back. Other forms of funding, such as grants or bursaries don’t need to be paid back. Some employers or charities might offer to sponsor your studies, which you will not have to pay back. Your student financial support will usually be a mixture of loans and grants.

Student Finance Wales (external link) can provide student financial support in the form of a tuition fee loan, tuition fee grant, maintenance loan or a Welsh Government Learning Grant. Students with a disability or caring responsibilities may be eligible for specialist grants.

For more information contact the student support team at your local authority or call the Student Finance Wales Contact Centre on 0300 200 4050.