Progress on the creation of Historic Wales
Plans to bring the commercial functions of Cadw and the Amgueddfa Cymru - National Museum Wales together have moved a step closer today.
- Landlords have 8 weeks to register with Rent Smart Wales
- Ambulance target met for almost a year
- Progress on the creation of Historic Wales
Section highlightLand Transaction Tax
Land Transaction Tax will replace UK Stamp Duty Land Tax in Wales.
Final Budget 2016-17 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2016-17 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
About this topic
Our vision is for a confident, diverse, creative and active Wales.
We are responsible for the National Museums and Galleries, libraries, archives and historical records and cultural activities and projects in Wales.
We are also responsible for setting strategic priorities for the arts and sport and overseeing the funding delivery and management of arts and sports policy by the Arts Council for Wales and Sport Wales.
Broadcasting is non-devolved but the Welsh Government is anxious to ensure that the interests of Welsh citizens are reflected in the development of UK broadcasting policy.
The Welsh Government is responsible for protecting Wales’s historic environment and making is accessible to all. We do this though our division, Cadw, and the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales.
Aims and commitments
Our Programme for Government commitments include supporting provision of and access to the arts, culture and heritage that make Wales a special place to be. Some of the ways we will achieve this are:
- Develop the educational and cultural benefits of our museums and historic sites.
- Retain free entry to museums.
- Promote Cadw sites and bring forward our Heritage Bill.
- Support the Arts Council of Wales to deliver its arts and young people strategy 'Changing Lives'
- Encourage arts organisations to tackle the barriers to participation for people of all ages.
- Ensure that local authorities meet national standards of library provision.
Our commitments to sport include:
- Widening participation in sport.
- Improving Welsh sporting achievement.
- Promoting Wales as a venue for international sporting events.
To do this we will:
- Fund programmes aimed at increasing physical activity and participation in sport.
- Produce more elite athletes through Sport Wales's Elite Sports Strategy.
- Work with national, UK and international sports federations to ensure that major sporting events are hosted in Wales.
- Work towards bringing the 2026 Commonwealth Games to Cardiff.