“Far more than just a transport scheme” - First Minister makes the case for South Wales Metro on Brussels visit
The Metro is a catalyst for transforming the Welsh economy.
- Carl Sargeant confirms continued support for Flying Start and Families First
- Rural Affairs Secretary declares Prevention Zone to help protect poultry from Avian Flu in Europe.
Featured Article »£40m available for research and innovation proposals
- “Far more than just a transport scheme” - First Minister makes the case for South Wales Metro on Brussels visit
Section highlightLand Transaction Tax
Land Transaction Tax will replace UK Stamp Duty Land Tax in Wales.
Draft Budget 2017-18 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2017-18 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
Tourists spend around £14 million a day whilst in Wales, amounting to around £5.1 billion a year.
Visit Wales looks after:
- tourism policy
- encouraging investment
- improving the quality of the visitor experience in Wales.
Visit Wales is also responsible for marketing Wales within the UK and internationally.
The tourism strategy for Wales ‘Partnership for Growth’ has the following vision for tourism:
“Wales will provide the warmest of welcomes, outstanding quality, excellent value for money and memorable, authentic experiences to every visitor.”
The statutory tourism functions of the Welsh Government fall under two primary Tourism Acts. The Development of Tourism Act 1969 (external link) and the Tourism (Overseas Promotion (Wales)) Act 1992 (external link).
The Development of Tourism Act 1969 gives the Welsh Government general powers and functions to:
- encourage people to visit Wales and people living in Wales to holiday here
- encourage the provision of tourism amenities and facilities in Wales.
Visit Wales (external link) is our external website to attract tourism to Wales. We also have a Tourism zone (external link) which has grading and funding advice and information on how to improve your tourism business.