Night time economy framework »The framework aims to help develop a sustainable, healthy and safe night time economy in Wales.Learn more »
New EU project to enhance coastal infrastructure in Wales and Ireland
Universities in Wales and Ireland are joining forces to investigate how coastal defences and renewable energy schemes can be improved by more eco-friendly designs.
- Welsh Government seeks innovative ideas to tackle childhood obesity with healthier and cheaper food choices
- Welsh team set to compete at Special Olympics, thanks to Welsh Government and Disability Sport Wales funding
- New EU project to enhance coastal infrastructure in Wales and Ireland
In this section
Section highlightLandfill Disposals Tax Communities Scheme
The scheme will support local community and environmental projects in areas affected by the disposal of waste to landfill.
Final Budget 2017-18 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2017-18 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Creating a new museum is an expensive and time consuming exercise which needs a great deal of long term commitment.
If you are thinking about starting a new museum, here is some information which will help you consider the issues involved. Please be aware that the Welsh Government does not normally support the foundation of new museums.
What is a museum?
In the United Kingdom, the widely accepted definition of a museum is:
Museums enable people to explore collections for inspiration, learning and enjoyment. They are institutions that collect, safeguard and make accessible artefacts and specimens, which they hold in trust for society.’ (Museums Association 1998)
The Museums Association’s Code of Ethics for Museums (external link) explains the principles which should guide how museums operate. The code is available to download in both English and Welsh.
To help you decide
The following resources might help you decide if you really want to establish a museum:
- New Museum Toolkit from Museums Galleries Scotland (external website)
- Setting Up a New Museum (external website)
- the Business Survival Toolkit (external website) developed by Creative and Cultural Skills will help you explore governance issues involved with running a museum.
If creating a museum is the appropriate step for you, please visit the ‘Museum Accreditation’ and ‘Collections’ pages for more information. Even if you decide not to apply for Accreditation, you should still consider adopting some of its requirements.
If you decide that running a museum is not for you, then the following free sources of information and advice might still be of interest: