Night time economy framework »The framework aims to help develop a sustainable, healthy and safe night time economy in Wales.Learn more »
New funding for musical instruments in schools – Kirsty Williams
Every council in Wales is to receive an extra £10,000 to buy musical instruments for pupils, Education Secretary Kirsty Williams has announced.
- Supporting People budget protected
- First Minister celebrates the inspiring winners of the 2017 St David Awards
- New funding for musical instruments in schools – Kirsty Williams
In this section
Section highlightLandfill Disposals Tax Communities Scheme
The scheme will support local community and environmental projects in areas affected by the disposal of waste to landfill.
Final Budget 2017-18 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2017-18 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Welsh public libraries review
We carried out a review in 2014 to look at local authorities’ current and future plans to deliver public library services. The review followed the National Assembly for Wales inquiry into public libraries in Wales (external link).
The review asked the following questions:
- What services should public libraries provide in the future to meet the changing needs of the people of Wales?
- What should be the roles and functions of the public library workforce in the future?
- How can libraries in Wales work together in the future to offer an efficient and effective library service on a local, regional and national basis?
- Do we require a new legislative framework and/or delivery model for public library services in Wales?
Following the report's publication, the Deputy Minister for Culture, Sport and Tourism gave an Oral statement: the Welsh Government response to the report of the Expert Review of Libraries (external link).
Scoping a new public library service for Wales
This report fulfils one of the recommendations in the Expert Review. It looks at the changing position of public library services in Wales and considers how services can be managed and delivered sustainably.
Independent trusts and community libraries in Wales
This research into community managed libraries and independent trust libraries in Wales concentrated on providing:
- a description of changes and developments that had taken place in the delivery of public library services by December 2014
- a description of relevant additional developments that either had been or were due to be implemented
- recommendations on whether community managed libraries run by leisure and culture trusts could be considered part of library authority’s public library statutory provision.
Welsh libraries annual report
The annual report for Welsh libraries provides an overview of activity in the library sector in Wales during 2015. The report outlines a number of the key achievements and successes that have been accomplished over the last year.