Skip to content
Statistics

Social landlord housing stock and rents

Bookmark and Share
  • Release date: 9 August 2017
  • Period covered: Stock at 31 March 17 and rents for 2017-18
  • Next update: 8 August 2018
An annual report which includes information on the number of housing units (including bedsits and bed spaces) owned or partly owned and managed by the 11 local authorities who retain stock and by all Registered Social Landlords (RSLs). They include both social housing and other non social housing.

Key points

Stock

  • There continued to be a slight increase (0.5 per cent) in social housing in Wales with 228,684 social housing units (including bedsits and bed spaces) at 31 March 2017 compared with 227,441(r) a year earlier.
  • Of these 228,684 social housing units, RSLs owned 62 per cent and local authorities owned the remaining 38 per cent.
  • At 31 March 2017, there were a further 14,967 other non social housing units owned or partly owned by social landlords in Wales of which 99 per cent was owned by RSLs.

Rents

  • The average weekly rents set by RSLs at 1 April 2017 for 2017-18 for all self-contained general needs housing was £86.96 per week, 90 pence per week more than the average charged by local authorities. This compares with a difference of £1.37 per week the year before.
  • Rents for local authority self-contained general needs housing ranged from £72.99 for a one bedroom flat to £111.68 per week for a 4 bedroom flat whilst RSL rents ranged from £75.35 per week for a one bedroom flat to £136.18 per week for 5 (or more) bedroom houses or bungalows.

Note

(r) 2015-16 data has been revised since previously published.

Contact

Statistician
Tel: 0300 025 5055
Email: stats.housing@gov.wales

Media
Tel: 0300 025 8099

Keep up to date @StatisticsWales@StatisticsWales Sign up to our newsletterSign up to our newsletter
Share