Skip to content
Statistics

Social landlord housing sales

Bookmark and Share
  • Release date: 13 July 2017
  • Period covered: 2016-17
An annual report which includes information on the number of social landlord housing sales in Wales and their impact on dwelling stock. It covers sales of local authority dwellings and sales of Registered Social Landlord (RSL) dwellings.

Key points

  • During 2016-17, the number of sales decreased by 9 per cent, compared to the previous year, to 583. This is the first annual decrease since 2009-10.
  • Whilst local authority sales were down by over a fifth (21 percent) to 151 dwellings, sales of registered social landlord (RSL) dwellings were down by just 3 per cent (to 432 dwellings).
  • Since 2008-09, the majority of all social landlord housing sales have been by RSLs. During 2016-17, RSL sales accounted for almost three quarters (74 per cent) of all social landlord housing sales.
  • Over the previous three years, the majority of sales were statutory sales (via Right to Buy and Right to Acquire). During 2016-17, however, the situation was reversed with 53 per cent of all sales being ‘Voluntary and Other’ sales (including extra care housing). This varied by landlord type, with statutory sales accounting for 93 per cent of all local authority sales, but for 31 per cent of all RSL sales.
  • During 2016-17, 70 per cent of all sales were of social housing and the remaining 30 per cent were other housing such as intermediate rented, shared equity and low cost home ownership properties.

Contact

Statistician
Tel: 0300 025 5055
Email: stats.housing@gov.wales

Media
Tel: 0300 025 8099

Keep up to date @StatisticsWales@StatisticsWales Sign up to our newsletterSign up to our newsletter
Share