UK Climate Change Risk Assessment Evidence Report »The Wales report highlights the risks to our economy, communities and environment from flooding and heat.Learn more »
New £7m EU-backed investment in graduate career opportunities
A £7.3m EU-backed scheme to boost the career prospects of students from disadvantaged backgrounds has been announced.
- Children encouraged to join the Big Friendly Read this summer
- Best ambulance response times since start of pilot - all LHBs in Wales meet target for first time
Featured story »National Assembly 2016 election results
- New £7m EU-backed investment in graduate career opportunities
- A future demand-led fuel poverty scheme to succeed Welsh Government Warm Homes - Nest
- Consultation on The Local Authorities (Calculations of Council Tax Base) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2016
- Welsh Language Standards – Improving services for Welsh speakers within the health sector
- There are no consultations closing within the next 10 days
Featured consultation »Improving services for Welsh speakers in the health sector
76 days left
Section highlightLand Transaction Tax
Land Transaction Tax will replace UK Stamp Duty Land Tax in Wales.
Final Budget 2016-17 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2016-17 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
An annual report that presents data collected from the Pupil Level Annual School Census, with additional information on the schools and their teachers and support staff.
- Overall, there were 21 fewer local authority (LA) maintained schools than at January 2015.
- The total number of pupils in LA maintained schools was 466,555, a rise of 851 pupils since January 2015.
- The numbers of pupils aged 5 to 10 have increased to 207,328 in 2016 compared to 203,847 in 2015. The numbers of pupils aged under 5 have been increasing since 2006.
- The percentage of pupils of compulsory school age in LA maintained schools known to be eligible for free school meals in 2016 was 18.4 per cent – down from 18.8 per cent in 2015.
- There were 24,235.8 full-time equivalent qualified teachers in LA maintained schools, 275.0 fewer than at January 2015.
- 7.6 per cent of pupils (8,196) were in infant classes of over 30 pupils, up from 7.3 per cent in January 2015.
- 61 per cent of teachers took sickness absence during 2015, compared with 62 per cent during 2014.
Tel: 029 2082 5068
Tel: 029 2089 8099