Progress on major health conditions delivery plans »We remain committed to ensuring that quality improvement remains at the centre of our approach for the future of NHS Wales.Learn more »
Statement from the First Minister following meeting with the Prime Minister on Tata Steel
“My message to the Prime Minister this morning was simple. These plants cannot close.”
- Welsh Government agrees partnership in principle for £80m convention centre plans at Celtic Manor Resort, Newport
- £43m to improve Wales’ primary care services
- Statement from the First Minister following meeting with the Prime Minister on Tata Steel
- Consultation on Procurement Regulation in Wales
- National Outcomes Framework for Youth Work
- Proposed changes to Planning Policy Wales Chapter 6: The Historic Environment
Closing soonView all open consultations »
Section highlightEnvironment (Wales) Act 2016
The act puts in place the legislation needed to plan and manage Wales’ natural resources in a more proactive, sustainable and joined-up way.
Assembly bills »
Bills that the Welsh Government will bring forward.Learn more »
In this section
Section highlightWelsh taxes: a conversation
Share your thoughts on a new Taxpayers’ Charter.
Final Budget 2016-17 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2016-17 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Population estimates by ethnic group
The latest release provides revised statistics for the years 2002-2007 (previously published estimates for 2001 remain unchanged), first released on 15 January 2010, and includes the years 2008 and 2009 for the first time.
The estimates are based on 30 June in the year in question.
- Between 2001 and 2009, the percentage of people in Wales from minority ethnic groups increased from 2.1 per cent to 4.1 per cent.
- The largest minority ethnic group in Wales is Asian or Asian British. In 2009, this group made up 1.8 per cent of Wales’ population.
- At a local authority level Cardiff, Newport, the Vale of Glamorgan and Swansea had the highest proportions of people from minority ethnic groups in 2009.
Important note on the reliability of estimates for subnational areas
These estimates are "experimental" statistics and should therefore be used with appropriate caution and awareness of their limitations. Users are advised to be cautious in interpreting estimates for subnational areas, particularly in areas with high internal migration flows.
Tel: 029 2082 6023