Successful prosecutions for scallop fishing offences »We take seriously our responsibility for managing and protecting Welsh seas and all our natural resources.Learn more »
Taking Wales forward: Ministers “hit the ground running” during the first 100 days in office – First Minister
The Welsh Government has “hit the ground running” during its first 100 days as it delivers its ambitious programme of building a united, connected and sustainable Wales, Carwyn Jones has said.
- Congratulations to GCSE pupils on results day - Kirsty Williams
- Recycling in Wales reaches record high
- Taking Wales forward: Ministers “hit the ground running” during the first 100 days in office – First Minister
- Proposed changes to how Environmental Impact Assessment applies to Town and Country Planning
- National Strategy on Violence Against Women, Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence - A framework for delivery 2016 - 2021
- Establishment of a Flood and Coastal Erosion Committee
- Consultation on The Local Authorities (Calculations of Council Tax Base) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2016
Featured consultation »Welsh Language Strategy: A million Welsh speakers by 2050
62 days left
Section highlightLand Transaction Tax
Land Transaction Tax will replace UK Stamp Duty Land Tax in Wales.
Final Budget 2016-17 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2016-17 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
An annual report which includes information on Eye Care Services provided in Wales together with workforce information.
Primary eye care services
- During 2015-16, 769,380 General Ophthalmic Service sight tests were paid for by the NHS, a 2.6 per cent increase on the previous year.
- 121,736 examinations were carried out under Eye Health Examinations Wales during the same year.
- Of the 126,513 patients screened (with results reported) by the Diabetic Eye Screening Wales Service in 2015-16, 27.1 per cent were found to have some degree of diabetic retinopathy (a small number were ungradeable).
Hospital eye services
- There were 322,612 attendances to ophthalmology outpatient appointments in Welsh hospitals in 2014-15.
- Health Boards received 39,055 GP referrals for ophthalmology in 2015-16.
- 8,049 assessments were carried out by the Low Vision Service Wales.
People newly certified and/or registered as severely sight impaired and sight impaired
- At 31 March 2015, over 15,900 people were registered with a visual impairment, of whom around half were registered as severely sight impaired and half as sight impaired.
- 1,243 people were newly certified as sight impaired in 2014-15; over 55 per cent of these were aged 80 years or over.
- There were 818 practitioners carrying out sight tests paid for by the NHS at 31 December 2015, 42 more than in the previous year and a 21.5 per cent increase since December 2005.
- At 30 September 2015 there were just over 134 whole time equivalent ophthalmology doctors directly employed by the NHS in Wales.
Tel: 029 2082 5039
Tel: 029 2089 8099