Appointment of the next Children’s Commissioner for Wales »The current Children's Commissioner's tenure will come to an end on 28 February 2015.Learn more »
A taste of Wales in London
“It is great to see our producers celebrating our patron Saint of Wales - St David and promoting their wonderful products in London. We have such a fine array of quality products here in Wales."
- St David’s Day in Dubai
- Across Wales young people find work thanks to Jobs Growth Wales
- A taste of Wales in London
- Proposals to amend existing powers to tackle waste crime and poor performing sites in the waste management industry
- Developing a Landfill Disposals Tax
- Collection and publication of fire statistics
- Talk to me 2
- Flood and Coast Investment Programme (FaCIP)
- Teacher assessment: strengthening arrangements to improve reliability, consistency and confidence
Featured consultation »Use and effectiveness of Civil Sanctions for environmental offences
29 days left
Section highlightRegulation and Inspection of Social Care (Wales) BillThe Bill will improve the quality of care and support in Wales and strengthen protection for citizens.
Legislative programme 2014 - 2015 »
Bills that the Welsh Government will bring forward in 2014/2015.Learn more »
Section highlightTaxes in Wales
The devolution of some taxes to Wales from April 2018 provides us with the opportunity to reshape those taxes to better meet our circumstances and priorities.
Final Budget 2015-16 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Departments for 2015-16 is £15·3bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
An annual report which includes information on Eye Care Services provided in Wales together with workforce information.
Primary eye care services
- During 2013-14, 758,572 General Ophthalmic Service sight tests were paid for by the NHS, a 1.2 per cent decrease on the previous year.
- 96,487 examinations were carried out under Eye Health Examinations Wales during the same year.
- Of the 115,344 patients screened by the Diabetic Retinopathy Screening Service in 2013-14, 29.8 per cent were found to have diabetic retinopathy.
Hospital eye services
- There were 330,626 attendances to ophthalmology outpatient appointments in Welsh hospitals in 2012-13.
Rehabilitation - low vision service
- 7,237 assessments were carried out by the Low Vision Service Wales.
People newly certified and/or registered as severely sight impaired and sight impaired
- At 31 March 2013, almost 16,600 people were registered with a visual impairment, of whom around half were registered as severely sight impaired and half as sight impaired.
- 1,362 people were newly certified as sight impaired in 2012-13; over 75 per cent of these were aged 80 years or over.
- There were 781 practitioners carrying out sight tests paid for by the NHS at 31 December 2013, 28 less than the previous year and a 24.2 per cent increase since December 2003.
- At 30 September 2012 there were 144 whole time equivalent ophthalmology doctors directly employed by the NHS in Wales.
Tel: 029 2082 5039