UK Climate Change Risk Assessment Evidence Report »The Wales report highlights the risks to our economy, communities and environment from flooding and heat.Learn more »
First Minister holds Extraordinary British-Irish Council Summit to discuss Brexit
The First Minister of Wales, Carwyn Jones has convened an extraordinary meeting of the British-Irish Council (BIC) to discuss the outcome of the EU referendum.
- Public Health Minister accepts new recommendations on Vitamin D intake
- Tourism industry ready for an EPIC summer
Featured story »National Assembly 2016 election results
- First Minister holds Extraordinary British-Irish Council Summit to discuss Brexit
- A future demand-led fuel poverty scheme to succeed Welsh Government Warm Homes - Nest
- Consultation on The Local Authorities (Calculations of Council Tax Base) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2016
- Welsh Language Standards – Improving services for Welsh speakers within the health sector
- There are no consultations closing within the next 10 days
Featured consultation »Improving services for Welsh speakers in the health sector
79 days left
Section highlightLand Transaction Tax
Land Transaction Tax will replace UK Stamp Duty Land Tax in Wales.
Final Budget 2016-17 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2016-17 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
An annual report which includes information on Eye Care Services provided in Wales together with workforce information.
Primary eye care services
- During 2015-16, 769,380 General Ophthalmic Service sight tests were paid for by the NHS, a 2.6 per cent increase on the previous year.
- 121,736 examinations were carried out under Eye Health Examinations Wales during the same year.
- Of the 126,513 patients screened (with results reported) by the Diabetic Eye Screening Wales Service in 2015-16, 27.1 per cent were found to have some degree of diabetic retinopathy (a small number were ungradeable).
Hospital eye services
- There were 322,612 attendances to ophthalmology outpatient appointments in Welsh hospitals in 2014-15.
- Health Boards received 39,055 GP referrals for ophthalmology in 2015-16.
- 8,049 assessments were carried out by the Low Vision Service Wales.
People newly certified and/or registered as severely sight impaired and sight impaired
- At 31 March 2015, over 15,900 people were registered with a visual impairment, of whom around half were registered as severely sight impaired and half as sight impaired.
- 1,243 people were newly certified as sight impaired in 2014-15; over 55 per cent of these were aged 80 years or over.
- There were 818 practitioners carrying out sight tests paid for by the NHS at 31 December 2015, 42 more than in the previous year and a 21.5 per cent increase since December 2005.
- At 30 September 2015 there were just over 134 whole time equivalent ophthalmology doctors directly employed by the NHS in Wales.
Tel: 029 2082 5039
Tel: 029 2089 8099