UK Climate Change Risk Assessment Evidence Report »The Wales report highlights the risks to our economy, communities and environment from flooding and heat.Learn more »
New £7m EU-backed investment in graduate career opportunities
A £7.3m EU-backed scheme to boost the career prospects of students from disadvantaged backgrounds has been announced.
- Children encouraged to join the Big Friendly Read this summer
- Best ambulance response times since start of pilot - all LHBs in Wales meet target for first time
Featured story »National Assembly 2016 election results
- New £7m EU-backed investment in graduate career opportunities
- A future demand-led fuel poverty scheme to succeed Welsh Government Warm Homes - Nest
- Consultation on The Local Authorities (Calculations of Council Tax Base) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2016
- Welsh Language Standards – Improving services for Welsh speakers within the health sector
- There are no consultations closing within the next 10 days
Featured consultation »Improving services for Welsh speakers in the health sector
76 days left
Section highlightLand Transaction Tax
Land Transaction Tax will replace UK Stamp Duty Land Tax in Wales.
Final Budget 2016-17 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2016-17 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
MELAP is an initiative supporting pupils aged 11-19 whose home language is not English.
MELAP was expected to achieve three aims:
- Raise attainment and tackle the risk of underachievement among black and minority ethnic (BME) groups of young people.
- Improve equality of opportunity to future employment and employability for BME young people through improved engagement in education and training.
- Build on existing monitoring and evaluation systems to effectively measure achievement and engagement levels of the targeted pupils assisted.
As such the evaluation covered the following aspects:
- The extent at which MELAP has met the ESF requirements.
- Assesses the effectiveness of MELAP in meeting its aims, objectives and targets.
- Examples of good practice in providing assistance to relevant pupils.
- Identifying lessons learnt to inform any continuation or potential expansion of the programme.
Partly funded by European Social Funds (ESF).
- The evaluation highlighted some issues around the design and development of the project which led to difficulties for some local authorities in expanding and adapting their activities.
- Evaluators concluded that ESF funding has enabled more pupils to be assisted and for additional means of assistance to be provided.
- Evidence suggests that MELAP has contributed to an increase of educational attainment of pupils with English as and Additional Language (EAL) needs.
Tel: 029 2080 1125