New hydro powered lighting gives children of Uganda a bright future
Vaughan Gething has visited Bumayoka Primary School in Mbale, Uganda to switch on new low energy lighting.
- Wales passes €50m milestone in flagship EU research and innovation programme
- Kirsty welcomes comforting views from home
Featured Article »£40m available for research and innovation proposals
- New hydro powered lighting gives children of Uganda a bright future
Section highlightLand Transaction Tax
Land Transaction Tax will replace UK Stamp Duty Land Tax in Wales.
Draft Budget 2017-18 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2017-18 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
MELAP is an initiative supporting pupils aged 11-19 whose home language is not English.
MELAP was expected to achieve three aims:
- Raise attainment and tackle the risk of underachievement among black and minority ethnic (BME) groups of young people.
- Improve equality of opportunity to future employment and employability for BME young people through improved engagement in education and training.
- Build on existing monitoring and evaluation systems to effectively measure achievement and engagement levels of the targeted pupils assisted.
As such the evaluation covered the following aspects:
- The extent at which MELAP has met the ESF requirements.
- Assesses the effectiveness of MELAP in meeting its aims, objectives and targets.
- Examples of good practice in providing assistance to relevant pupils.
- Identifying lessons learnt to inform any continuation or potential expansion of the programme.
Partly funded by European Social Funds (ESF).
- The evaluation highlighted some issues around the design and development of the project which led to difficulties for some local authorities in expanding and adapting their activities.
- Evaluators concluded that ESF funding has enabled more pupils to be assisted and for additional means of assistance to be provided.
- Evidence suggests that MELAP has contributed to an increase of educational attainment of pupils with English as and Additional Language (EAL) needs.
Tel: 029 2080 1125