Successful prosecutions for scallop fishing offences »We take seriously our responsibility for managing and protecting Welsh seas and all our natural resources.Learn more »
Congratulations to GCSE pupils on results day - Kirsty Williams
The Education Secretary Kirsty Williams has offered her congratulations to students across Wales celebrating their GCSE and Welsh Baccalaureate results today.
- Recycling in Wales reaches record high
- Stellar team poised ready to recognise Welsh heroes
- Congratulations to GCSE pupils on results day - Kirsty Williams
- Proposed changes to how Environmental Impact Assessment applies to Town and Country Planning
- National Strategy on Violence Against Women, Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence - A framework for delivery 2016 - 2021
- Establishment of a Flood and Coastal Erosion Committee
- Consultation on The Local Authorities (Calculations of Council Tax Base) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2016
Featured consultation »Welsh Language Strategy: A million Welsh speakers by 2050
64 days left
Section highlightLand Transaction Tax
Land Transaction Tax will replace UK Stamp Duty Land Tax in Wales.
Final Budget 2016-17 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2016-17 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
An annual report which includes information on number of dwellings liable for council tax, banding, discounts and exemptions.
- The total number of dwellings liable for council tax in Wales for 2016-17, has risen by 8,037 or 0.6% over the previous year to 1,358,980. In tax-raising terms, this total is equivalent to 1,218,531 band D dwellings. Flintshire shows the highest increase of band D equivalent dwellings at 1.2%.
- Rhondda Cynon Taf has the highest number of band A properties (43,880). Blaenau Gwent has the highest proportion of dwellings in band A (59%), Monmouthshire has the lowest (1%).
- Around a third of dwellings in Wales receive a 25% discount, generally due to being occupied by only one person liable for council tax.
- There are 56,909 dwellings in Wales that are exempt from council tax. This represents 4% of all dwellings. The largest exempt category is empty and unfurnished at 18,710, followed by student dwellings at 14,934, with 5,903 dwellings being exempt as a result of being vacant on death.
Tel: 029 2082 3169