Appointment of the next Children’s Commissioner for Wales »The current Children's Commissioner's tenure will come to an end on 28 February 2015.Learn more »
£17m EU-backed project to support Welsh job-seekers announced at St David's Day reception in Brussels
Finance Minister, Jane Hutt, has announced a £10 million EU investment for a £17 million initiative to help people affected by redundancy back into work.
- 56% of food businesses in Wales get top food hygiene ratings
- Support for Wales YFC announced
- £17m EU-backed project to support Welsh job-seekers announced at St David's Day reception in Brussels
- Proposed changes to homelessness data collections
- Proposals to amend existing powers to tackle waste crime and poor performing sites in the waste management industry
- Developing a Landfill Disposals Tax
- Talk to me 2
- Flood and Coast Investment Programme (FaCIP)
- Teacher assessment: strengthening arrangements to improve reliability, consistency and confidence
Featured consultation »Use and effectiveness of Civil Sanctions for environmental offences
25 days left
Section highlightRegulation and Inspection of Social Care (Wales) BillThe Bill will improve the quality of care and support in Wales and strengthen protection for citizens.
Legislative programme 2014 - 2015 »
Bills that the Welsh Government will bring forward in 2014/2015.Learn more »
Section highlightTaxes in Wales
The devolution of some taxes to Wales from April 2018 provides us with the opportunity to reshape those taxes to better meet our circumstances and priorities.
Final Budget 2015-16 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Departments for 2015-16 is £15·3bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Annual data which presents information by age of mother, births outside of marriage, fertility rates and weight of baby.
This report has been discontinued. Annual data will continue to be available on StatsWales.
- There were 35,238 live births to Welsh residents in 2012.
- Fertility rates rose generally during the 2000s but fell slightly in 2011 and 2012, with the average number of children per woman, the Total Fertility Rate (TFR), standing at 1.88.
- 58 per cent of live births in 2012 were outside marriage, although most of these were jointly registered by both parents.
- Although the rates fluctuate from year to year, generally during the 2000s infant mortality rates have fallen; in 2012 the infant mortality rate stood at 4.1 per thousand live births.
- The stillbirth rate has fluctuated during the 2000s between 4.6 and 5.7 per 1,000 total births.
Health Enquiries Line
Tel: 029 2082 5080