PSE encompasses everything that a school or college does to support and promote the personal and social development and well-being of its learners. This includes all the planned opportunities which are features of the ethos and community life of the school or college.
The following suggestions are tried and tested learning experiences that promote the personal and social development and well-being of learners.
- Participate in anti-bullying week campaigns and activities to raise awareness of and to reduce bullying. Find out more at Anti-Bullying Week (external link)
- Involve learners in the planning and delivery of a Health Day with a range of local external agencies.
- Learners taking responsibility for health related initiatives, e.g. running the school fruit tuck shop, promoting healthy vending.
- Plan and participate in whole school/college events to raise awareness of national health campaigns, e.g. World AIDS Day, No Smoking Day.
- Setting up a School nutrition action group (SNAG) and introducing healthy vending.
- Researching news stories relating to young people’s personal safety, drink driving and binge drinking.
- Integrating the All Wales Police School Core Programme into the planned PSE provision to supplement substance misuse education.
- Taking part in community projects that develop understanding of mental health.
- Work in partnership with external agencies such as NSPCC Cymru to set up peer support programmes.
- Researching web-based sources of health and well-being related information, advice and guidance for young people.
- Establish links with a range of health and well-being related support groups for young people which operate locally.
- Raise awareness of internet safety with younger pupils. Find out more at