The group, chaired by former Welsh Director of the Planning Inspectorate John Davies MBE, is made up from representatives covering a wide variety of planning backgrounds, including environmental organisations, the construction industry, local government and planning law.
The members are:
- John Davies MBE (Chair)
- Jane Carpenter, CBI (Redrow Homes)
- Andrew Farrow, Flintshire County Council
- Chris Sutton, CBI (Jones Lang LaSalle)
- Lucy Taylor, Planning Aid Wales (Newport City Council)
- Mike Webb, RSPB
- Huw Williams, Law Society (Geldards LLP)
John Griffith said:
“I am delighted to have been able to secure the assistance of such a knowledgeable group of individuals who between them have a wealth of practical experience on the operation of the planning system.
“I want to ensure that all those with an interest in planning, have an opportunity to feed in their views to the advisory group, and for those views to be considered before the Welsh Government brings forward a Planning White Paper during 2013.”
The Independent Advisory Group has been tasked to:
- Identify the policy objectives that the planning system is required to deliver;
- Assess existing institutional delivery arrangements, noting areas of good practice and areas in need of improvement; and,
- Propose options for the future delivery of the planning system, including plan making and development management services.
- The review will deliver a report during summer 2012
The advisory group will issue a call for evidence during the autumn which will invite views from aspects of planning in Wales.
The group’s recommendations, due next summer, will form part of the evidence base for the Welsh Government’s proposed new Planning Bill.