Skip to content

Community and Town Councils

Independant Remuneration Panel for Wales

Community and Town Councils

The Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales has powers over the allowances payable to elected members of Community and Town Councils. 

The Panel’s determinations for Community and Town Councils are permissive and each council must formally decide to apply the determinations. If a council does adopt the determinations, members are entitled to:

  • £150 a year to cover telephone, IT and other costs.
  • £500 for up to 3 members with special responsibilities (e.g. a committee chair)
  • A civic allowance for the mayor or chair of the council
  • A civic allowance for the deputy mayor or deputy chair of the council
  • Reimbursement of travel and subsistence costs when on official business
  • A financial loss allowance
  • Reimbursement of the costs of care for a dependent child or adult of up to £403 a month. 


Community and town councils must also publish an Statement of Payments by 30th September each year. This document details all payments made to elected members in the previous municipal year. 

Information on allowances for Community and Town Councillors

Thinking of becoming a Community and Town councillor?

Community and Town Council Engagement Events Report of Findings

The Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales (the Panel) held three engagement events to gather the views of the community and town council sector on its current remuneration framework.