5p carrier bag charge turns 5!
Today (1 October) marks the five year anniversary of the introduction of the Welsh Government’s ground-breaking Single Use Carrier Bag charge.
- Welsh Government steps in to help small businesses affected by revaluation
- Blue Badge eligibility criteria expanded
- 5p carrier bag charge turns 5!
Section highlightLand Transaction Tax
Land Transaction Tax will replace UK Stamp Duty Land Tax in Wales.
Final Budget 2016-17 »
The amount of funding allocated to Welsh Government Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs) for 2016-17 is £15bn.Learn more »
- Statistics & Research
Upcoming calendar »
See the schedule for all statistics and research releases.View upcoming calendar »
Welsh Government responsibilities
These areas include:
- local government
- economic development
- social services
- Welsh language
- agriculture and rural affairs.
The role of the Welsh Government is to:
- make decisions on matters regarding these areas, for Wales as a whole
- develop policies and implement them
- propose Welsh laws (Assembly Bills).
The Welsh Government has a budget of more than £15 bn, of which more than £5 bn goes to the NHS in Wales and more than £4 bn directly to local authorities which deliver many other services.
The UK Government is still responsible for certain public services in Wales, for example, police, prisons and the justice system. Matters such as tax and benefits, defence, national security and foreign affairs are also dealt with by the UK Government.